Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Whole Wheat Rolls

When I was meal planning for the week, I knew I wanted to try these rolls with Tortellini Alfredo. I found the recipe on the Happy Housewife blog and here's the link. The recipe is from a guest post on the blog. I loved the recipe, even though I changed it just a little bit. These were easy to make, crusty on the outside, and so moist and flavorful on the inside. James loved them, which is good news since he isn't the biggest fan of whole wheat (even though I make him eat it since it is more healthy.) I will include my altered recipe below, but the original recipe is in the link above. I only made half a batch so that is what I am including.

Whole Wheat French Rolls

3/4 cups warm water (110°F)
1/2 T yeast
1 T honey
1 T veg oil
1/2 t salt
1 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, and honey. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

To the yeast mixture, add oil, salt and 1 c of flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/4 c at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise is a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Deflate the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and form into balls. Place in a lightly greased 9-in round baking pan. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let double in volume, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

We loved these with even more honey on them. Next time I think as soon as they come out of the oven I am going to coat them with either honey-butter or garlic-butter while they are still hot.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.