Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala - like chicken curry

I've been craving some curry, but we don't have any restaurants here that serve it. Plus on our $1200 challenge it would probably put a dent in our budget. I found a Shrimp Tikka Masala recipe in the January 2010 issue of Martha Stewart Living, but I couldn't find a link on the website to link to. I have changed the recipe up enough since I didn't have some ingredients and James is allergic to shrimp. I will say that it doesn't taste like true curry, but it was a pretty good, easy to make facsimile.

Kat's Chicken Tikka Masala

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 t ginger powder
2 t tomato paste
2 t garam masala (a spice blend - I got mine from the canisters at Central Market)
1/2 t chili powder
1 c chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken and onions in oil until chicken is moist and onions are soft.

2. Add ginger powder, tomato paste, garam masala, and chili powder for about 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant.

3. Add chicken broth and mix together. Let the mixture reduce until you have a nice thick chunky sauce. Serve over rice. If I had some yogurt, I would have added a couple of T to make it a little creamy and lighter in color.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.