Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thoughts on the first month of the challenge

I've been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting on the first month of our $1200 challenge. Here's what I've decided - I miss eating out. The sad thing is that I don't actually miss the food, which inevitably makes me sick, but just the experience. I don't miss how much it costs either, but I still miss the feeling of going out. Maybe I need to do try some new things when cooking dinner. Different plates, more formal plates, candles, setting the table, etc. We'll see how things go.

I also miss shopping for deals. Now I just stay out of stores unless I know there is a big sale on something that we need. I love the thrill of finding a good deal and have been missing that feeling. On the other hand, I don't miss fighting people, maneuvering a cart through rude people, or actually handing over the money.

Good things that have happened this first month: 1) I have been baking a lot more (English muffins, cakes, brownies, breads, etc.), 2) James and I have had 29 home-cooked meals this month with only a few repeats, and 3) I have not had the stomach problems I had started to have at the end of last year.

I guess in my reflections I decided it is a balance of feelings. For the most part, the first month has been a positive experience with just a few changes that I've had to adapt to.

** We did cave last night and go and get some Blizzards from DQ. I had been fighting off the craving for about a week, and James just decided we were going last night. $6.04 of goodness into our bellies. **

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.