Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Bread - No Kneading

I took the pictures this morning so I actually had good light for a change!!

I have been craving french toast for a couple of days. My favorite bread to use is Challah, which is expensive to buy and time-consuming to make. I was mulling over my problem when I remembered that we had made french toast out of this bread the last time I made it. I have no idea where I got the original recipe from, but I changed it anyway because I didn't have any buttermilk. The new version is included below. This is a bread that tastes much better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to meld together. It is super moist and makes AWESOME french toast!



Cinnamon Swirl Bread:

4 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
½ c vegetable oil
2 ½ c sugar, divided
2 c buttermilk (I poured 2 T vinegar into a measuring cup and then poured skim milk up to the 2 cup line)
2 eggs
1 T ground cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine oil and 1 ½ c sugar. Add buttermilk and eggs; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill two greased 8-in x 4-in x 2-in loaf pans about 1/3 full. (I didn't have this size pan, so I used two 9x5 loaf pans which is why my bread came out so thin.) Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over the batter. Top with remaining batter and cinnamon-sugar. Swirl batter with a knife. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.