Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chicken tamale pie

In my never ending quest to include new meals in my repertoire, I found this recipe on the Betty Crocker website. As usual I changed the recipe a little to fit what I had. The original recipe is linked here, and I'll include my version below. James really liked this meal. He said it had a really light "crust" that he enjoyed.

Chicken Tamale Pie:

2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1/2 can of corn, drained
1 small can of green chilies, drained
1 t cumin
1/2 t chili pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 c cheddar cheese
1/2 c baking mix
1/2 c cornmeal
3/4 c milk (I used skim)
1 egg

1. Mix the chicken, chilies, corn, and spices in the bottom of a 9-inch glass pan. Top with the cheese.


2. In a separate bowl, mix the baking mix, cornmeal, milk and egg together. Pour over the top of the chicken mixture.


3. Bake the pie for 25 minutes in a preheated 400° oven. We cut ours into 6 servings. You could top this with sour cream (which we don't eat), guacamole (which we don't have), more cheese, and/or salsa.

Enjoy!

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.