Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Whatever muffins

I needed to make some muffins for James the other day, but our grocery budget money is gone for January and we were out of milk. I also had some old granola that neither one of us really cared for as cereal, so I wanted to use that up. Here's the recipe I used (it is based on a pretty generic muffin recipe, but then I made a bunch of changes. . .my version is posted.)

Heat oven to 350 F. In a bowl mix together the following:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

In another bowl mix together:

2 eggs
4 T butter, melted
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used Horizon organic)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 t almond extract (James loves this flavor)

Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until almost mixed. Fold in 3/4 cup granola (or nuts, berries, fresh fruit, etc) and 1/4 cup coconut (also leftover stuff I needed to use) being careful to not over mix the muffins. Scoop into 12 lined muffin tins or 6 big muffins tins and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Your time may vary depending on your oven's temp.

If you wanted to make these lighter you could absolutely use a cup of skim milk, but I had to use what I had on hand. These were really "pretty" muffins, but since they are now in the freezer I don't want to take a picture of them.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.