Friday, February 12, 2010

Peanut butter pudding

Why did it take me so long to jump on the homemade pudding bandwagon? Oh my goodness, it is so much better than the box stuff! It definitely takes a little more time, but it is so easy to make. I see some pudding experiments in my future.

The recipe I used is from the 1999 Taste of Home cookbook. The only thing I would change is to decrease the amount of vanilla by about half. I thought the vanilla flavor competed with the peanut butter a little too much. I also made brownies for James to take to work so we put pudding on top of brownies...SO GOOD!


Peanut Butter Pudding:
1/3 c sugar
4-1/2 t cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1-1/2 c milk (I used skim, but it would probably be creamier with whole milk.)
1/2 c half and half
1/2 c peanut butter
1 t vanilla (I'll cut in half next time I make it.)

1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir (I used a whisk to prevent clumps) in milk and cream.

2. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, cook and stir for 2 minutes.

3. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter until smooth. Pour into a bowl or individual serving dishes. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a film and refrigerate for a couple of hours before eating.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.