Monday, November 30, 2009

Berry Cobbler

I've had a couple of bags of blackberries and dewberries in the freezer for awhile and finally decided to make something with them today. I don't eat fruit so I had to wait for James to get home to taste it. His response was "Mmmm". I guess that means the cobbler is good. I modified this recipe from the new Costco cookbook.

Berry Cobbler:
1 stick butter (1/2 c)
2 c blackberries
2 c dewberries
1 c sugar and extra for berries
1/4 c Splenda
1/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c flour
2 t black powder
1 c milk

1. Put the stick of butter in a 9 inch deep pan (mine was a little too shallow) and put it in the unheated oven. Turn the oven to 350° and let the butter melt in the pan.

2. Mix the berries in a bowl with sugar. I had to use about 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 c Splenda because my berries were tart (I remembered James told me that awhile ago), but you might be able to use less.

3. When the butter is almost melted, mix the flours, baking powder and 1 c sugar in a bowl. Add 1 cup of milk and stir well.

4. Remove the butter pan from the oven and pour the batter on top of the butter. Add the berries and any juice that formed to the batter. I sprinkled them around to disperse them evenly.

5. Put pan on a baking sheet and put back in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is nicely browned.

If you try this please let me know how it turns out for you!

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.