Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Chicken cheese casserole

I read a recipe on a blog I follow called Finding Joy in My Kitchen for a chicken and cheese bake. I changed the recipe up a little and James liked the results. Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of measuring so I'll just describe what I did. BTW, sorry for the quality of a couple of the pictures... one of the settings on my camera was wrong.

Cook up some pasta to al dente. I used whole wheat rigatoni and spirals. After being cooked it was probably about 3 cups of pasta. While the pasta is cooking, saute some onions and carrots. Season the veggies with your choice of spices. I used poultry seasoning, dried oregano, and dried basil.


Put a layer of pasta on the bottom of a casserole dish. Then put layers of veggies, shredded chicken (I baked a chicken breast seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper earlier in the day), and cheddar cheese. You can decide how much cheese you would like to use. I ended up with two layers of each.
Pour in 3/4 cup of milk and cover with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes and then uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes to get the cheese crunchy. In the background of the picture is a piece of homemade buttermilk oat bread.


Next time I make this I'll try to have some mushrooms and or broccoli on hand to add in for James. I can always pick them out.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.