Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Overnight Pumpkin Waffles

In my ongoing attempt to make James a hot breakfast a couple days a week, I've been searching for different recipes. I ran across several recipes for overnight pancakes/waffles and decided to try one of them. I ultimately used a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook with a ton of additions and substitutions.


Kat's Overnight Pumpkin waffles:
2 1/4 c flour
2 T sugar
2 1/2 t yeast (equivalent of one pkg)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t ground ginger
1/8 t fresh ground nutmeg
1 3/4 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 c pumpkin puree ( I used some from the pumpkins I processed.)
1 1/2 t vanilla
1. In a large bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients. Add the milk, eggs, and pumpkin and combine thoroughly. Cover loosely and refrigerate overnight.
2. In the morning, add the vanilla to the batter and stir. Bake these off using the directions for the type of waffle maker you have. I used a Belgian waffle maker and made 5 waffles.
These waffles had a very good flavor. Because of the lack of oil in the recipe they are a little spongy instead of crispy, but the flavor makes up for the texture.

2 comments:

SnoWhite said...

I love the idea of an overnight waffle! We make a sweet potato waffle that is really similar that I bet I could try overnight too -- thanks for the great tip!

Unknown said...

I love waffles and don't have a waffle maker, so I have put one on my wish list foe Christmas. Just maybe Santa will bring my one.
Geri

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.