Monday, May 17, 2010

Reflections on the $1200 challenge -month 5

We are now almost 5 complete month into the $1200 challenge. Financially we are doing okay. We have averaged less than $100 a month and I have been able to save a lot with coupons and gift cards that I was given.

Here are the downfalls:
1) We miss really eating out. Right now if we eat out, we go to our normal places, where we know how much we'll spend. No variation is kind of boring.
2) I am in a meal plan rut. Since the only cuts of meat we are buying are chicken and ground beef, we are getting pretty tired of these. There are NO local sales on different cuts of meat. All the stores are putting their highly processes, pre-seasoned cuts of meat on sale, but not normal cuts. I think we are going to cut the budget in other areas in order to purchase some different cuts of meat.
3) I am focused all the time on the cost of food. It is a little draining. As I have started my summer job, this will get easier because I won't have as much time to think about. I also eat less during the summer because my job is outside and I get off late, thus I don't usually want to eat hot food at night.

In an effort to alleviate two of these downfalls, James and I have decided to go out to eat tonight. We are going to enjoy ourselves, but the focus is not going to be on cost. If we find a good deal that will be great, but we are going to have a good time.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.