Friday, April 17, 2009

Sausage & biscuits

James really likes quick things for breakfast since he has to be at work early. Periodically I try to make a variety of muffins or cinnamon rolls and we make our own pancakes and waffles to freeze. I also make him sausage and biscuits occasionally. Today I worked a breakfast catering before my normal lunch schedule. My awesome boss let me keep the leftover biscuits. That's eleven or twelve biscuits (if I would have bought these it would have cost between $1.50-3.00, depending on if I had made them from scratch or store bought them). Then I bought some pre-cooked sausage patties for $3 (this did come out of my grocery budget) from him. I know that seems pretty steep, but let's do a comparison.

I could have bought a small chub of sausage and made about 8 decent sized sausage patties. At the stores I have available to me a chub costs about $2.50-$2.75. Plus, I would have had to drive to and from the store, form the patties, cook them, make the sausage and biscuits and then clean up. The other option at the store would have been pre-cooked sausage patties, but those would have cost about $3.50 for 8. To me, $3.00 and the time it takes to assemble the sausage and biscuits is a good price for 11 frozen sausage and biscuits. This is 5 - 11 breakfasts for J depending on whether he eats one or two.

Here's the breakdown:

Option #1:
Store bought chub of sausage at a cost of $2.50: makes 8 patties at a cost of $0.30 each and I would have had three leftover biscuits. (Add in cost of gas)

Option #2:
Store bought pre-cooked sausage patties at a cost of $3.50: assume 8 patties = $0.38 a patty and I would have still had leftover biscuits. (Add in cost of gas)

Option #3:
Buy prepackaged sausage and biscuits. I don't know how much this would be because I have honestly never looked, but I'm sure they are fairly expensive. (Add in cost of gas)

Option #4: (The winner)
$3 for 11 patties = $0.27 each and I was already at work, so I didn't have to make an extra trip.

**Keep in mind these prices are based on stores I have available to me, many people have access to stores with less expensive prices.**

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.