Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Oreo Muffins

I think I got this recipe from an old Taste of Home or Quick Cooking magazine. These muffins are okay, but not my favorite. James really likes them. I think I would like them better if I had made them with a chocolate muffin batter instead of a regular one. When I make these again, I will definitely use less butter.

Oreo Muffins
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
3 t baking powder
1/3 c cold butter
1/3 c sour cream
1 egg
1 c milk
16 Oreos, coarsely chopped

Topping:
3 T flour
3 T sugar
5 Oreos, finely chopped
2 T cold butter
1 c vanilla chips
1 T shortening

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg, milk, and sour cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chopped cookies. Fill muffin tins (fitted with paper liners) 2/3 - 3/4 full.

For topping, combine the flour, sugar, and crushed Oreos. Cut in the butter until crumbly; sprinkle about 1 T over each muffin. Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes (my oven runs hot, so I cooked mine at 350° for 15 minutes) or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan to a wire rack. Melt the vanilla chips and shortening with a method of your choice, I used the microwave, until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.