Thursday, December 3, 2009

Taco Corn Bread Squares

Sorry about the picture I just can't seem to get the hang of this lighting thing.

I got this recipe from the 2000 Quick Cooking cookbook. The original recipe had sour cream and onions in it but we don't eat sour cream so I omitted it. Also the recipe called for a corn bread mix, but I make my corn bread from scratch.

Taco Corn Bread Squares:

Make a batch of corn bread batter of your choice or use 1 pkg of corn bread mix (8-1/2 oz), 1 egg and 1/3 c milk mixed together
2-1/2 c taco seasoned meat (mine had onions, jalapenos, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder)
1 can refried beans
1-1/2 c cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
1. Pour corn bread batter into a 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
2. Combine taco meat and beans and gently spread over the top of the corn bread. I just used a tablespoon and spread drops of the mixture around. Top with cheese and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
** The original recipe mixes 1 c sour cream, the 1-1/2 c cheese, and 1/4 c chopped onion and then spread it over the taco meat. Then top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and what ever else you would like.**
These were awesome and had a good "taco" flavor. I think I would like them more as an appetizer or as a side to something than a main entree, but live and learn.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.