Monday, August 31, 2009

Meal plan and September goal

James and I have been tossing around some new ideas to try for the month of September. One of my jobs will be over next weekend, so I'll have the time to work on meals and saving money again. I had been mulling over the idea of cutting back on processed foods, even though we don't buy a lot as it is, but we had gotten worse at it over the summer. James thought it was a good idea. The only problem is there are a few items that James and I both prefer the pre-made versions better than homemade. Our goal is to not purchase any prepackaged, processed convenience foods during the month of September with the following exceptions: peanut butter, jelly, syrup, tortilla chips, pasta, and dairy products. I also put in a little caveat about cereal. . .I would only buy it if it was a really good deal that I could use some high dollar coupons on. Since we already have some items in the house, we can eat what we already have, but are not allowed to purchase these items.

Also back for the month of September a grocery budget! We are going to start with $80 a month and I'll work my way back down to $50.

Meal plan for the week:
Monday: Crockpot Tamale Pie with Chili Cornmeal Crust
Tuesday: Grilled pizza
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Blackened tilapia with rice pilaf
Friday: Pink pasta and foccacia

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.