Thursday, September 17, 2009

Baking morning!

James really likes to have quick things for breakfast in the morning. I haven't had the time to do anything about that until this morning. I made several batches of muffins and a batch of granola bars (new recipe I'm trying - picture later).
I used one muffin recipe that I have developed and modified it for each batch. The basic recipe is as follows:

Preheat an oven to 350°F.

Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl:
2 c all-purpose flour (James doesn't really like whole wheat flour in muffins)
1/2 c sugar (If you like sweet muffins I would increase this by 1/4 c)
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 T ground flax seed

In a second bowl, mix the following:
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 c of dairy product (I usually use milk or yogurt, both of which I was out of so today I used half and half)
4T melted butter
Flavoring of your choice (more later)

Combine the two mixes together and stir in 1 cup of "add-ins". Fill muffin cups (sometimes I line them other times I just use spray) and bake for 20-25 minutes. Bake for about 10-15 minutes if using mini-muffin cups.

Blueberry-Almond Muffins: 1/4 t almond extract as the flavor and 1 c frozen blueberries. This batch was 6 large muffins.

Cinnamon Streusel Muffins: Make a streusel topping out of flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little salt. I didn't measure these, I just eyeballed them. For the flavoring I used 1/2 t of vanilla extract, 1/2 t cinnamon and no add-ins. I used a silicone pop-over mold for this recipe. Fill the bottom of the molds with about 2 T of batter each. Top with 1 t of streusel mixture. Evenly distribute another 2-3 T of batter over the streusel and then top that with another t of streusel mixture. I had some left over batter so I made 12 mini cinnamon muffins. The mini-muffins baked for about 10 minutes and the popover muffins baked for 20 minutes.

Chocolate chip mini-muffins: The flavor was 1/2 t vanilla, a dash of cinnamon and the add-in was chocolate chips. I didn't have any mini chocolate chips so I chopped up some regular size chips. I made 48 mini muffins out of one batch.

Lemon - Dewberry muffins: The flavoring was 1 t lemon extract and the add-in was a cup of frozen dewberries. Yield of 12 regular size muffins.

I freeze the muffins and James takes them out in the morning and defrosts them in the microwave. Quick and easy breakfasts for my James.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.