Friday, June 24, 2011

Kat's Ice Cream Sandwiches

The other day I was just sitting around watching a cooking show and the host was making ice cream sandwiches. She was using a store bought mix for the cookies and some other things. I decided I needed to make my James some ice cream sandwiches (which he loves), but that I would make the cookies from scratch and use some leftover ice cream we had. Here's what I came up with:
Kat's Ice Cream Sandwiches:
1-1/8 c white wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 c + 1/8 c succanat (or use regular sugar)
1/4 c + 1/8 c brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 egg
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
softened ice cream - any flavor you like
1. Cream sugars and butter together. Once light and fluffy, add in the egg and vanilla and stir.
2. Add in flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until almost all the flour is mixed in. Add chocolate chips and mix until you can't see flour anymore.
3. Using a standard ice cream scoop, drop cookie batter on silpat lined baking sheets. These spread and are big so don't put more than six on a pan.
4. Bake in a 375° oven for 10-12 minutes. Put on a wire rack to cool. Once cookies are cool, put them in a ziploc bag and freeze until solid.
5. Once cookies are frozen, put one scoop of softened ice cream on the bottom of one cookie and top with another. Freeze until ice cream is solid again.

I don't have a stand mixer, so I just used some arm muscle for this, but you could of course use a mixer.

These are so yummy! I accidentally forgot about the ice cream so it was a little softer than I would have liked when I made the sandwiches, but it still worked out. This recipe made 5 sandwiches (James got to one before I could include it in the picture) and one sample cookie.

No comments:

2011 Challenge = Support Local Eateries

Read about our 2011 Challenge here.